Rent Direct - Vehicle Hire Criteria & Information
All drivers must be aged between 23 - 75 for cars and 23 - 70 for vans inclusive. Drivers under the age of 25 may only rent vehicles up to Standard category (1) and would be subject to a young driver surcharge (2).
Driving Licenses & History
All hirers who will be insured to drive Rent Direct vehicles must produce a full valid driving licence.
Accessing Your Driving Licence Details
Follow these steps to access your driving licence details:
- Driver Licence details can be accessed at www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence/
- Your National Insurance number, Driving Licence number and post code are required to access the information.
- Download the .pdf version of your counterpart driving licence and print it off - this is your best option.
- You can obtain an access code that can be given to the car hire company, who can then use it to access your licence details, however be aware that the access code expires after 3 weeks.
All drivers must have held a full driving licence for at least 24 months. Minor licence endorsements up to 6 points are accepted. Major endorsements i.e. UT, DD, DR & IN are subject to insurance clearance and the hire location would need to be informed before a reservation is placed. Drivers aged under 25 must hold a licence free from any endorsements. (For full clarification please contact the branch) MPV rental is only available to hirers over the age of 30.
Insurance Excesses & Liabilities
Insurance is subject to an insurance excess. The excess is the cost to the hirer in the event of damage occurring to the vehicle, different vehicles attract different excess levels; cars carry a £500 excess and vans a £750 excess. Excess waivers are available to reduce a hirer's liability.
As well as the full drivers licence the main driver must produce 2 forms of identification i.e. bank statements, utility-bills, (these must be no less than three months old) or their Passport and Flight Details (paper or email version) if they are an overseas visitor.
Payment Method and Deposit
Payment is only accepted by major credit or debit cards (except Amex) along with a £250 deposit. This deposit is refundable if the vehicle is returned full of fuel and undamaged. This deposit is subject to change at the discretion of the Manager and is dependent on varying factors.
All vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel at the start of the hire. Customers are expected to return the vehicle full at the end of the hire. If the vehicle is returned less than full of fuel, a charge will be made based on an approximate number of litres at a rate in excess of the current pump price.
- Standard categories are cars up to a 1400cc and a small van (i.e. VW Caddy size)
- Under age drivers surcharge is charged at £5.00 per day PLUS VAT.